Empowered Living CEDC
The mission of EL is to increase family wealth and economic mobility, demonstrate compassion, and alleviate poverty as tangible expressions of hope through the vehicle of community economic development.
FREE Food Giveway
Empowered Living Church
- Administrative Offices -
2101 Cambridge Beltway Drive
Ayrsley, Charlotte, NC 28278
tuesdays from 1:00 - 2:30 PM
EVERY Tuesday in april & May
COVID-19 VACCINE CLINIC
organized by empowered living Church
Financial Assistance for COVID-19 Related Funeral Expenses
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is offering financial assistance for COVID-19 related funeral expenses that occurred after January 20, 2020 (last year).
- An official Death Certificate that directly attributes the death to COVID-19
- Proof that the death occurred in the United States, U.S. Territories, or the District of Columbia
- Funeral expense documents (receipts and funeral home contract) that include the applicants’ name, deceased person’s name, the amount of the funeral, and the date of the funeral
- Proof of funds received from other sources
To submit an application for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance go to https://www.fema.gov/disasters/coronavirus/economic/funeral-assistance
Need your Rent Paid in Charlotte?
Thousands of renters in Charlotte slept last night without fear of being evicted this morning, after the CDC's last-minute extension of a federal moratorium from March 31 to June 30.
- Evictions are still occurring, though, and some say at a record pace.
What's happening: Legal Aid of North Carolina tells me 1,500 Mecklenburg County residents came to them for assistance in 2020 — more than any year in the organization's history — even with the ongoing moratoriums.
- "I think we’ve opened 40 cases this week so far," Legal Aid's housing practice group manager Isaac Sturgill told me on Tuesday.
Between the lines: To qualify for federal relief, distressed renters must testify in writing that the inability to pay rent is due to a COVID-related loss of income or hours, among other things. Some aren't taking that step.
- Even if they do, some landlords — many struggling to pay bills themselves due to the loss of rental income — find other ways to evict, like citing broken washing machines, Sturgill says.
By the numbers: The most recent housing pulse survey from the Census Bureau shows that 149,500 people in North Carolina are not caught up on rent and that 190,000 don't believe they'll be able to make their next rent payment. Others are behind by months.
- Liana Humphrey of Crisis Assistance Ministry tells me that before COVID, the organization spent an average of about $400 to help folks solve housing issues. That's since doubled.
Yes, but: This latest extension could be the most meaningful of all. Charlotte and Mecklenburg County are set to receive about $365 million from the American Rescue Plan.
- County and city managers have started to work out a plan for it, and it will likely mean millions for housing and rental assistance.
Resources: If you need immediate assistance, go to Crisis Assistance Ministry or Legal Aid of N.C. If you anticipate needing assistance as a renter or a landlord, go to Ramp CLT to apply for COVID-19 relief money.
Empowered Living Community Economic Development Corporation (cedc)
Official Launch is Early 2020
The mission of the Empowered Living Community Economic Development Corporation is to increase economic mobility, demonstrate compassion, and alleviate poverty as tangible expressions of hope through the vehicle of community economic development.
PROGRAMS, CLASSES, and FINANCIAL LITERACY PROGRAMS
The Financial Literacy Program promotes prosperity and well-being through one-on-one coaching and group setting. EL is a non-profit, whose efforts are designed to make basic financial and investment information and education available to the public at large, with a focus on including families, new professionals, under-served communities, while helping strengthen local communities.
ENTREPRENEURIAL TRAINING COURSE
The EL is committed to assisting community residents in gaining the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully market, manage and operate a small business enterprise. The main objectives of the course are for you to complete your Business Plan and to become knowledgeable in all aspects of a small business enterprise within the 4-week session program.
The course will help you learn or accomplish the following:
• Gain an Overview of Owning A Business
• Determine If Your Business Idea Is Workable
• Find Out What You Need to Start or Grow Your Business
• Develop A Marketing Strategy Through Research
• Work Out Operational & Administration Issues
• Learn How to Secure Start-Up or Growth Capital
• Project Financial Goals and Strategies
• Write Down Decisions and Plans
• Learn Effective Communication Skills
• Learn How to Provide Excellent Customer Care
HOME BUYING COURSE
The Home Buyer Education Course is an eight-hour class in which perspective home buyers receive valuable tools that will help them successfully navigate through the home buying process. This includes financial and credit management, shopping for a home, purchase procedures and maintaining the home. Our goal is to assist perspective home buyers in becoming mortgage-ready to purchase and sustain home ownership comfortably.
• Multi-Family Rental Apartments
• Rehabilitated Multi-Family Rental Apartments
• Affordable senior housing development specifically for serving seniors ages 55 and over
COMMUNITY SERVICES AND OUTREACH
The Community Assistance Department is the foremost front line of service. We will assist either directly or indirectly (through referrals) individuals in need. Our scope of service is in five distinct areas of rent/mortgage, utilities, emergency financial assistance, emergency food, and bus tokens/transportation assistance. We make a heartfelt attempt to assist all who call if outside of our five areas of service. The other services are credit counseling, small business microloans, small business tax preparation, and voluntary income tax assistance (VITA).
• Community and Economic Leadership Awards Gala
• Awards given to excellent leaders in business, education, housing, and healthcare
WEALTH BUILDING PROGRAMS
What Wealth Building Classes Are You Most Interested?
Financial Peace University (FPU)
Starting september 2020 @ 7:00 pm (nine weeks)
Are you ready to take control of your money? Financial Peace University (FPU) is a nine-lesson course designed to help you build a budget, dump debt, grow your wealth, and leave money stress behind! Each lesson, taught by Dave Ramsey, Chris Hogan, and Dave's team of financial experts, is based on biblical wisdom and common sense. In your FPU group, you’ll be motivated and encouraged by others just like you! When you sign up for FPU, you’ll get your member workbook and one free year of Financial Peace Membership, with access to exclusive online tools to help you on your journey.
Contact Ron at 704-301-8316 or email@example.com for more info.
No more money fights! With Financial Peace University, you and your spouse will learn how to create (and stick to) a budget, save for emergencies, and make a plan for the future. Doesn’t that sound peaceful? We are offering FPU at Empowered Living just for you starting Thursday, September 2020 at 7:00 pm. You can also visit FPUCharlotte.org to sign up!
Empowered Living CEDC
2101 Cambridge Beltway Drive
Ayrsley, Charlotte, NC 28273
(704) 412-4035 Ext. 3